Mushroom risotto is probably one of my favorite things to make. It is easy and satisfying, plus it features mushrooms which are always available and delicious. This version is pretty simple, however sometimes I change it up a bit and add a few more steps to elevate it to another level! For starters, give this delicious risotto a try, you will love it!
Ingredients: (Serves 4-6)
1 1/4 cups Arborio rice
3 chicken stock cubes
1/2 cup white wine
1 medium white onion (small dice)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
1 1/2 cups button mushrooms (chopped)
1 tbsp butter
A drizzle of olive oil
A squeeze of lemon juice
1 sprig of rosemary or thyme leave (chopped)
Handful of fresh Italian parsley (chopped)
Salt and pepper
1) Bring a big pot of water to a boil.
2) In a heavy bottom pot (I use a ceramic dutch oven) cook onions in olive oil until translucent; add arborio rice and rosemary and cook another minute.
3) Pour in the wine and a chicken stock cube and stir until the wine has absorbed; add the mushrooms; cook another minute.
4) Add another chicken stock cube and a soup ladle of boiling water; stir until water has been absorbed.
5) Add the 3rd chicken stock cube with another ladle of boiling water and stir until absorbed.
6) Continue adding more water and stirring, for about 20 minutes.
7) Stir the butter into the risotto and add the grated Parmesan; check the seasoning.
8) Add a squeeze of lemon and the parsley, stir. Remove from heat, cover with a lid and let stand for 2 minutes.
9) Grate on some extra Parmesan and serve!
(Tip: Sometimes I add some extra assorted mushrooms to a separate frying pan with a little butter, chopped garlic, salt and pepper and I use to top the finished risotto off for extra flavor)