So I don't know about you, but I LOVE perogies. I have loved them since childhood and they are one of my ultimate comfort foods. That is why I was very excited when I saw a Ukrainian hotdog on Food Network's "You Gotta Eat Here". I knew I had to make it. C'mon! Hot dogs & perogies! You cannot tell me that doesn't sound fantastic! The restaurant is called "Fat City Franks" in Calgary, Alberta.
Perogy Hotdog: (to make 4 dogs)
3-4 medium red potatoes- peeled and quartered
1 large yellow onion- sauteed until translucent
1 tbsp butter
salt & pepper
1/2 cup (or more) grated cheddar cheese
1/4 cup real bacon bits
4 hotdog buns
chives (for garnish if desired)
1) Begin by boiling your potatoes until they are tender enough to mash
2) Boil hotdogs or barbecue them
3) When potatoes are done, mash them really well with a good sprinkle of salt and pepper (eyeball it), the cheese and about half of the sauteed onions
4) Put hotdogs in buns, then cover dog with the mashed potatoes
5) Add more sauteed onions on each dog, and more grated cheese if desired
6) Sprinkle with bacon bits
7) Add a big dollop of sour cream and garnish with chives!
And that my friends, is the ultimate Perogy Hotdog! Give it a try, you will not be disappointed!